Thursday, November 12, 2009

RIP Jackson D. Kane

(Rockin '50s)

I just received word that Jack Kennelley of the Teen Kings died recently. I have no details except that he was in Littleton CO at the time. Jack went to Odessa High School with the Poor Boys but played for several years with the Teen Kings. I remember once when I was flippin' burgers at the old south side Otto's and he came in. He told me that Roy was changing the band name from the Wink Westerners to the Teen Kings to "keep current with the times" and had asked him (Jack) to be his bass player. Jack developed into a good upright bass player and Roy always had him sing "Sixteen Tons" at all of their shows and dances. Jack had a Tennessee Ernie Ford" type of deep resonant voice and at one time considered doing music ministry with the Baptist church. I don't know how many, if any, of Roy's recordings Jack was on but probably the Sun sessions at least. He went to Hollywood and was in some movies. Billed as "Jackson D. Kane", he was in "The Man Who Fell to Earth" with David Bowie and also was in one or two of the Clint Eastwood baboon movies. He also made TV commercials for GMC trucks. The last time I saw Jack was at a Rock 'n' Roll reunion in Odessa in 1989. He spent his childhood in Odessa in the 40's and 50's and everyone knew Jack Kennelley. He was considered one of the good guys. Jack Kennelley rest in peace.


KANE, Jackson D. (Jack Kennelley)
Born: 6/30/1937, Odessa, Texas, U.S.A.
Died: 10/9/2009, Littleton, Colorado, U.S.A.

Jackson D. Kane's westerns - actor:
Thomasine & Bushrod - 1974 (Adolph)
Paper Hearts - 1993 (Wesley)
Posted by Tom B. at 2:19 PM

5 comments:

  1. In the 70s and 80s Jack played music (bass) a lot around Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was a friendly, good-natured guy. I worked with him in a couple of recording studios and did session work with him. He was also a very popular voice-over talent for television and radio commercials. I enjoyed knowing him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent many happy hours with Jackson back in the summer of '82. My wife was a cocktail waitress at a restaurant called Big Valley Ranch in Albuquerque and every now and then Jackson stopped in. His band would play the bar from time to time. He was a huge presence in Albuquerque back then. My brother worked with him on Convoy during the New Mexico filming. Sad to hear Jackson is gone. He was fun to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at big valley ranch for years and jack was a good friend and a drinkin buddy.I am really sorry to hear that he passed away.He had alot of friends in albuquerque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack was a close friend.I knew him for 35 years and he would come to big valley often where I worked.He was very personable and made friends easily.He sang a song called Cedar town girl that was my favorite.I am so sorry to hear that he has passed on and will miss him very much! Rest well my friend!!!! JEFF

      Delete
  4. Wow, very sad to hear of Jacksons death. He was a very good friend of my Dads and our family. I will never forget when i was about 15 or 16, outside of one of my Dads and his "watering holes", he gave me a 45 of his single,"Blackjack County Chain". A good man gone. Rest in Peace Jackson, from the Amlong family.

    ReplyDelete