Thursday, April 5, 2012

RIP Luke Askew


RIP Luke Askew

Luke Askew, an actor with 44 years’ experience in the film business, died peacefully surrounded by his family at his home in Lake Oswego, Oregon on Thursday, March 29, 2012. He was born March 26, 1932 in Macon, Georgia. Mr. Askew, who played numerous roles in film and television, loved acting and had great affection for his many close friends and co-workers in the business as well as his friends in Oregon. He never wished to stop working and was still active until recently.

ASKEW, Luke (Francis Luke Askew)
Born: 3/26/1932 Macon Georgia, U.S.A.
Died: 3/29/2012 Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.

Luke Askew’s westerns – actor:
Will Penny – 1968 (Foxy)
The High Chaparral (TV) – 1969 (Johnny Ringo)
Night of the Serpent – 1969 (Luke)
Bonanza (TV) – 1971 (Sheriff Hatch)
The Culpepper Cattle Co. – 1972 (Luke)
The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid – 1972 (Jim Younger)
The Magnificent Seven Ride! – 1972 (Mark Skinner)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid – 1973 (Eno)
The is the West That Was (TV) – 1974 (Oscar Wellman)
Posse – 1975 (Krag)
Mackintosh and T.J. – 1975 (Cal)
The Quest (TV) – 1976 (Crane)
The Invasion of Johnson County (TV) – 1976 (Deputy Sheriff Brooks)
How The West Was Won (TV) -1979 (Bowdin)
Wanda Nevada – 1979 (Ruby Muldoon)
Kung Fu: The Movie (TV) – 1986 (Sheriff Mills)
Frank & Jesse – 1995 (Lone Rider)
The Newton Boys – 1998 (Chief Shoemaker)
Walker, Texas Ranger (TV) 1998 (Roger Dansfield)
South of Heaven, West of Hell – 2000 (Leland Henry)

1 comment:

  1. I first met Luke Askew in 1950 at Gordon Military College in Barnesville, Georgia. We lived in the same barracks. Everyone knew him as Doc Askew who was at Gordon on a football Schlorship. This was a junior college team that won a league championship. I think he was at Gordon for two years and when he left he joined the US Airforce. I graduated from Gordon Junior College in 1954 and then went to Mercer University in Macon, Georgia. Luke was there at the same time going to law school and we quickly renewed our friendship. We doubled dated girls from Wesleyan College and in the summer of 1955 he brought his girlfriend and mine to visit me in Miami, Florida via Greyhound Bus. The family that lived next door to my home was away for the summer so my mother got permission from them to use their house. Luke and the girls stayed for about two weeks. My mother enjoyed taking them shopping and finding out about my dating habits. Luke was so impressed with Miami that he looked for a job but no luck in such a short period of time. The next time I saw Luke in Macon he told me that he joined the Macon "Little Theater" and was really enjoying the great applause after his performances. I finished Mercer and went into the Army as a Lieutentant in the Infantry Branch. Luke and I were so involved with our careers that we failed to stay in touch with each other. It was when he first started as an actor that word got out that Askew was in movies. I went to a Gordon reunion in the late 1970's and the entire football team that Luke played football with was there and the topic of discussion was where was Luke Askew living and how to contact him. Many said they tried numerous avenues but none suceeded. I tried using the internet but no luck. I did write him a letter when he was playing in the TV series CANNON and I think he received it through the studio. I had two trips to Vietnam and after I retired from the Army at Fort Benning, Georgia I bought a small liquor store here in Columbus, Georgia and ran it for 32 years, selling in 2010. Yesterday I turned on my desk top and hestitated going to my email but instead typed in LUKE ASKEW to see what would happen as it had never worked before. The bad news, LUKE ASKEW DEAD AT 80. I know actors need to live a private life but had he not died I would stil not be able to contact him today. Such is life. I wold loved to have talked to him one more time. Maybe to his children and wife now that this great actor and personal friend has passed away. I also turn 80 March 1st.

    Dick Tieken tieken24@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete